Thursday, March 11, 2010

Flowers of evil

I watched that Youtube video earlier this morning before I went to work. It struck me the whole day and made me think how naive I am sometimes when I complain about tiny details that are nothing, absolutely nothing whereas small children are forced to work in unsafe streets just to help their parents financially.
The kids are brothers and they speak in Lebanese, so I'll try to translate what they say and then my non Arabic speaking friends understand the story.
The flowers of evil:
-music
-Boy1: I am 10 years old
-Boy2: And I am 10 years old
-Interviewer: You are younger than 10.
-Boy2: No, I am 10.
-Boys: We sell roses.
-Interviewer: Why?
-Boy1: My brother and I are working. Our father makes us work because he needs to pay his debts, he works as a taxi driver.
-Interviewer: And what time you return home?
-Boy1. when we sell all the roses.
-Boy2: When we return home, dad gives us some money.
-Boy2 sings a song.
-Boy1: Shall I sing another song?
-Interviewer: Yes.
-Boy1: God may curse the exile, what has exile done to me, it made me feel bitter and stole my precious ones...
-Boy2 trying to sell: take a rose to your moonshine, may God give you a nice car.
-Boy1: My father hits me if we don't sell all the roses.
-Boy2: Our uncle brings us to work and he gives the money we earn to our parents.
-Boy1: We'd like to become doctors.
-Boy2 asking his brother: What would you like to be?
-Boy1: I'd like to be a doctor.
-Boy2: And I like to become an engineer.....

That was my translation for that story. I just close my eyes and pray that they are protected by God's angels from the evil of the dark streets.


3 comments:

Colleen said...

Ah, poor babies. Praying that they are protected too...how very sad. I feel that the children of the world are in so much trouble.:(
As for the complaining part, I've often felt the same myself, I have everything so easy and so good, I'm safe, live in a lovely home, always have more than enough to eat and don't have to worry very much about anything...what do I have to complain about? It makes me cringe to think of the petty things I've complained about and even let ruin my day sometimes when I hear about people who live in terrible situations that I in my comfortable world can't really understand.

Michael Khatcherian said...

Let's just ask God to use us as brushes painting smiles on their faces

Kris said...

Blargh, the world really sucks. So sad.